Message Board

Message: 'Hi I make jewellery but also w...' with Replies

Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  • Hi I make jewellery but also work full time - i intend to sell to galleries and the public do I have to register as a small business with the Tax Man?

    Anybody know how it works - thanks guys.
    6 Aug '07 - 9.23am
  • The short answer is yes - You do have to register your self employed business with the tax office. Call 0845 9154515 to register or ask for the number for your local Business Support Team for free advice - the line is open 8-8 Mon-Fri, 8-4 w'ends. Note that there is a £100 fine if you don't register within 3 months of starting business.

    Although any income from your business is taxable, if you anticipate that you will earn less than a certain amount (it's about £4,500 in 2007) you can apply for a certificate of exception, which means you won't be liable for national insurance payments on your self employed earnings.

    6 Aug '07 - 1.13pm
Please Log in if you wish to post a message.
© Copyright 2008 PSB Design & Print Consultants Ltd. P.O. Box 5, Driffield, East Yorks YO25 8JD
A-Z  |  Privacy  |  Site Info  |  E-mail  |  Top